Root Canal at Dr. Steven A. Rosenberg and Associates DDS of Plantation, Florida
A root canal is the anatomic space within the root of a tooth. Part of a naturally occurring space with a tooth, it consists of the pulp chamber (within the coronal part of the tooth), the main canal(s), and more intricate anatomical branches that may connect the root canals to each other or to the surface of the root.
Signs That Root Canal Therapy is Needed:
1. Severe toothache pain upon chewing or application of pressure.
2. Prolonged sensitivity (pain) to hot or cold temperatures (after the heat or cold has been removed)
3. Discoloration (darkening) of the tooth
4. Swelling and tenderness in nearby gums
5. A persistent or recurring pimple on the gums
Root canal treatment is highly successful; the procedure has more than a 95% success rate. Many teeth fixed with root canal therapy can last a lifetime.